The producers of Alec Baldwin’s infamous film “Rust” on Thursday denied allegations that they ignored gun safety measures before the tragic shooting that led to the death of Halyna Hutchins.
Baldwin and several other producers of the film filed a court motion saying they “did not ‘intentionally’ violate any security protocols” and “enforced all applicable security protocols,” the BBC reported.
According to the document, “all actors handling weapons received sufficient training and assistant directors were instructed to hold safety meetings on days when firearms were used.”
The document presented by the producers of the film affirms that there was indeed a meeting on the day of the shooting.
Rust Movie Productions also said that the film’s gunsmith, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, was not overburdened by her duties as a gunsmith and prop assistant.
According to the producer, Gutierrez-Reed’s duties as a gunsmith “always took precedence,” but on that specific day she did not do her job properly.
Gutierrez-Reed’s attorneys criticized the report, saying he “was not provided adequate time or resources to do his job effectively, despite his expressed concerns.”
“As we have said before, if someone from the production had called Hannah at the church before the scene to consult with her, this tragedy would have been prevented,” they said.
Last month, the New Mexico Environment Department levied a $136,793 fine on the film.
Baldwin has since claimed that he was “exonerated” in Hutchins’ death.