Dozens of New Jersey gas stations plan to offer discounted fuel on Friday in the latest push to convince state leaders to allow for self-service.
You won’t have to pump your own gas to get the price break from record high gas prices during the Fuel Your Way NJ coalition’s Self-Serve Day of Awareness. The cost drops will vary by location, but are meant to reflect how much consumers could save per gallon with self serve available.
“With the cost of gas prices continuing to rise, it’s taking a bigger and bigger bite out of people’s wallets,” Sal Risalvato of Fuel Your Way NJ said in a statement. “We want the public to know that one of the quickest ways we can reduce gas prices is to allow gas stations the ability to offer self-serve in New Jersey.”
New Jersey is the last state to prohibit drivers from pumping their own fuel.
Gas prices stand at a record high of $4.48 per gallon for regular in New Jersey, above the national average of $4.42 reported by GasBuddy.com on Thursday.
“The price drop will vary station to station, but on average it will be about 15 cents per gallon,” said Bruno Tedeschi, a coalition spokesman.
Motorists who pull into participating gas stations will also be handed a facsimile of a $100 bill during the next several weeks with a message that they could save $100 to $400 per year if the state allowed self-serve. Motorists will be encouraged to contact their representatives demanding passage of the legislation.
A bill introduced in February stalled in the state legislature after State Senate President Nicholas Scutari, D-Union, said in March he does not currently support the self-service bill, making it unlikely he’ll post it for a vote and effectively killing it .
The New Jersey Gasoline-Convenience-Automotive Association estimates stations could drop prices 15 cents a gallon if they’re allowed to offer self-service. However the legislation doesn’t specify how much of that cost saving would be passed on to customers if self serve were permitted
The coalition has launched an online petition drive and is asking drivers to contact legislators about supporting the bill.
Gas stations will also display a sign next to pumps that have been closed with the message: “This pump would be open if New Jersey allowed self-serve fueling.”
Gas stations participating in the price drop on Friday:
- Exxon, 142 Chestnut Ridge Road, Montvale.
- North Arlington Gulf, 101 Ridge Road, North Arlington.
- Exxon, 782 Route 17, Paramus.
- Valero, 639 Route 17 North, Paramus.
- Exxon, 100 Route 17 North, Paramus.
- Sunoco, 456 Route 17 North, Ramsey.
- Exxon, 456 Route 17 North, Ramsey.
- P66, 201 White Horse Pike, Berlin.
- Amoco, 2 Marlton Pike West, Cherry Hill.
- West Berlin Delta, 250 Route 73, West Berlin.
CAPE MAY COUNTY
- Cape Harbor Auto Repair, 795 Route 109, Cape May
- Livingston Sunoco, 247 S. Livingston Ave., Livingston.
- Exxon, 625 McCarter Highway, Newark
- Exxon, 264 Bloomfield Ave., Montclair.
- Lukoil, 335 McCarter Highway, Newark.
- Exxon, 550 Eagle Rock Ave., Roseland.
- South Orange Exxon, 68 W South Orange Ave., South Orange.
- Glassboro Delta, 100 Delsea Driver, Glassboro.
- Bayonne Tiger Mart, 529 Kennedy Blvd., Bayonne.
- Willow Sunoco, 1301 Willow Ave., Hoboken.
- Lukoil, 200 12th St., Jersey City.
- Shell, 164 14th Street, Jersey City.
- Gold Coast Petro Sunoco, 588 Manila Ave, Jersey City.
- Newport Exxon, 245 12th St., Jersey City.
- BP U-Haul, 235 12th St., Jersey City.
- Sunoco, 465 Grand St. Jersey City.
- Exxon, 450 Route 3 West, Secaucus.
- Newport Valero, 93 14th St, Jersey City.
- Exxon Holland Tunnel Service Center, 97 Marin Blvd, Jersey City.
- California Exxon, 429 County Road 513, California.
- Hampton BP, 238 Route 31 North, Hampton.
- Lebanon Route 22 Sunoco, 1370 Route 22 West, Lebanon.
- Lebanon Sunoco, 1237 Route 31. Lebanon.
- Lebanon BP, 1201 Route. 31 South. Lebanon.
- Liberty Mart, 118 Route 202/31 North, Ringoes.
- Lukoil, 2558 Pennington Road, Pennington.
- Lukoil, 3513 Route 1 South, Pennington.
- Exxon, 270 W. Inman Ave., Cologne.
- Sunoco, 784 Route 18, East Brunswick.
- Ultra Mart Inc., 3875 Park Ave., Edison.
- Exxon, 1441 Route 1 South, Edison.
- Exxon, Garden State Parkway, North Colony.
- Exxon, Garden State Parkway, South Iselin.
- Lukoil, 152 Old New Brunswick Road, Piscataway.
- Zackria Fuel, LLC, 4501 Stelton Road, South Plainfield.
- South River BP, 258 Old Bridge Turnpike, South River.
- Aberdeen Exxon, 1164 Route 34, Aberdeen.
- BP, 44 South Street, Freehold.
- Hazlet Shell, 1355 Route 36, Hazlet.
- Matawan Sunoco, 323 Route 34, Matawan.
- Middletown BP, 863 Route 35, Middletown.
- Monmouth Road BP, 373 Monmouth Road, West Long Branch.
- Denville Route 46 Sunoco, 161 W. Main St., Denville.
- Long Valley P66, 43 East Mill Road, Long Valley.
- Randolph BP, 260 South Salem St. Randolph.
- Whippany Lukoil, 1235 Route 10, Whippany.
- Exxon, 600 Brick Blvd., Brick.
- Exxon, 181 Drum Point Road, Brick.
- Exxon, 1444 Route 88, Lakewood.
- Kelly’s Sea Bay Sunoco, Route 35 North, Lavallette.
- Shell, 1350 Route 9 South, Toms River.
- Exxon, 13 Route 37 East, Toms River.
- Exxon, 478 Haldon Ave., Haledon.
- Exxon, 716 Goffle Road, Hawthorne.
- Exxon, 1431 Route 23 South, Wayne.
- Somerset Hills Exxon, 545 Martinsville Road, Basking Ridge.
- Exxon, 1101 Easton Ave., Somerset.
- ‘Peapack Sunoco, 28 Route 206, Peapack.
- Exxon, 162 Central Ave., Clark.